Monday, February 20, 2012

Thoughts on wolves, 2 years in

I've been playing wolves for 2 Years now. I've managed 2 firsts, a couple of seconds and even a wooden spoon with them.

I know some one must be reading this, drop me a comment any feedback is good feedback,


So here is what I have learnt, this will probably fly in the face of popular opinion and even my own previous advice

HQ's
Rune priest is the only one worth a damn. And even he is a bit average. Livining lighting and murderous hurricane rock, every thing else is a little to situational

ELITES
Wolf guard are great. Should be attached to every other squad.

Scouts - Good but not great, too unpredictable and in the games they do well I've rarely found them game breaking.

Troops
9 grey hunters w/Melta gun, Wolf guard attached with a power fist and combi melta.
If using pods consider a plasma pistol, banner is OK. sometimes.

Fast attack
I have seen thunder wolves do great things. But I cannot see myself running them. When they work, great but if they fail, you;re screwed.

Heavy Support - I prefer a Mechanised option here, Vindicators for horde control, Preds for ranged support

Transports - You have an army designed for short range, Move as a group and lash out. move fast, engage quickly

WHAT I RUN
Rune Priest, Lightning,. hurricane, Great utility character, avoid getting him out of his rhino

wolf guard, usually minimum, with a drop pod. Wolf guard get assigned to squds, pod drops empty means everything hits turn 1.

Grey hunters, 4 squads in rhinos, 2 in pods

Trialling vindicators in heavy support.





No comments:

Post a Comment