Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Why Play [INSERT MARINE ARMY HERE]

This is something that has been on my mind for a while, I've been playing for a little over 18 months, I finished my first marine army and then on sold it to finance other projects. By why choose one type of marines over others? Heres a little insite to my thoughts

Vanilla Marines
This is the dex I learnt on, but with BA and SW releases why go back to it? Here are a few good reasons
1. Scouts in Landspeeders
2. Thunder Fire Cannon - I love it.
3. Bikers as troops
4. A but tonne of characters

List of the moment
Pedro Kantor

5 x Scouts w/ Power Fist
5 x Scouts w/ Power Fist
5 x Scouts w/ Power Fist

Land Speeder Storm
Land Speeder Storm
Land Speeder Storm

10 x Stern Guard w/Power Fist, 2 x Las Cannons
Razor Back w/Twin Linked Las Cannon

10 x Stern Guard w/Power Fist, 2 x Las Cannons
Razor Back w/Twin Linked Las Cannon

10 x Stern Guard w/Power Fist, 2 x Plasma Cannons
Razor Back w/Twin Linked Heavy Bolter

Thunder Fire Cannon
Thunder Fire Cannon
Predator w/Auto Cannon and Storm Bolter
2000 Points

Dark Angels
I'm going to let you guys fill this one in, It's something have no experience in

Black Templars
5 man terminator squads with 2 assault cannons each and tank hunters, 20 man troop units with prefered enemy. ouch.

Blood Angles
where to begin. Flying Dreadnoughts, Fleeting Dreadnoughts, armies with 9 dreadnoughts, 6 predators in a single army, Fast transport, Assault marines as troops (Although I'm not a fan), Sanguinary priests, death company. This is an awesome dex with many over the top options. Fights in 40K are short, there also seems to be a trend towards making them more brutal. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Crazy over the top armies. I may do a BA army one day. maybe Pre-Heresy Dusk Raiders.

Chaos
Khorne - Great assault troops, Kharne, it was my first pick for a chaos army, Currently have started paint on a daemon prince and assembled 16 berzerkers and started salvage on a Vindicator, rhino and predator.

Nurgle - Plague Marine and plasma gun spam, T6 Bikers, I like the army but think if your going nurgle the daemon army is better.

Tzeench - Awesome but expensive. Also the cover rules in 5th kind of takes the sting of the thousand son bolt guns.

Slaanesh - Lash prince ftw.

SPACE WOLVES
My current project. Tactical marines are one of my favorite units. Grey hunters are cheaper get an aditional attack and can get a special weapon in 5 man squads. Pure awesome.

I know a lot of players love different units from this dex but for me its Grey Hunters, supported by Razor Backs, Predators, a Whirl Wind, Wolf Guard, a Rune priest and maybe a dread or two.

Why take Space wolves over the others above?
- Grey hunters
- Wolf Guard including Battle leaders are cheaper and just as effective
- Most armor is the same or in the case of the dreadnought assault cannon , cheaper.

OTHER NOTES
In general I am not a fan of special characters. Yet I could rattle off a ton of them. In Chaos I am making an exception and taking Kharne the Betrayer because of the general themes I'm running.

Chaos is something I am only just starting to get into. So once again back to being a noob

No comments:

Post a Comment