Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Recap - I noob's story so far

Its been nearly 18 months since I started my adventures in 40K and 8 since I started this blog.
It all started in October 2008. For years I had been an avid player of the VS System TCG, even running a local club in Newcastle, NSW, unfortunately that game came to an end and I found myself without a hobby.

I have always been one of those people who needs something to occupy their idle time. I'm never really satisified just watching TV, I need to be watching TV, eating something, playing a game on the computer and trying to work out how to fit that 4th Sorcerers Treasure card into my Secret Society of Super Villians deck.

About this time I heard that Good Games was opening franchise in Gosford, NSW, where I had moved for work the previous march. After having to travel 2 hours from Newcastle to Sydney for TCG tournaments a Good Games Store in my local area sounded great.

Although there were no VS games to be had I did join in a demo game of 40K and fell in love with it. Black Reach was out, I'd just had a pay rise and there was a 15% off GW if you joined the local league. So I picked an army. Blood Angels. Aggressive, fast, seemed like a good choice.

Then the 5th ED Space Marine Codex came out. I was blown away and promptly forgot all about the Blood Angels. I started going along with the club to tournaments, Gosford Shield, Battle in the Vines, Lords of Terra, along the way I picked up second hand mini's from friends who used to play, When the 5th ed Imperial Guard Codex came out I decided to start a small army, then bought more, and now I'm trying to get some more Valks and tanks together. I bought the first minis in January 2009, I still haven't finished a model.

Then there was MOAB. The Mother of all Battles. 11 Games, 3 days and the Space Wolf Release on the same weekend. I already had some metal wolves from a friend, so I got carried away, bought a bunch of stuff, now I have a decent size space wolf army. All un-painted. (Painted VS Unpainted VS incomplete list at the bottom)

My first piece of real success came late last year. Fresh from winning the local league I entered a local tournament and got second place.

so after 18months of gaming my ranking in Australia and New Zealand (from http://www.gosfordgamers.net) sit at
1254 Players Total
Overall - 82nd
Battle - 85th
Sports - 125
Composition - 76th
Painting - 71st

The WIP List
COMPLETED IN FULL
Red Skulls Chapter - C:SM
2 Librarians
2 Captains
64 Tactical Marines
5 x Scout Snipers
6 x Dreadnoughts
10 x Stern Guard
20 Assault Marines
20 Devestators
1 x Predator
2 x Rhinos
1 Thunder Fire Cannon
Whirlwind
1 Drop Pod (needs minor repairs)

INCOMPLETE
Red Skulls Chapter - C:SM
Marneus Calgar
7 x Captains - May Retask
2 x Chaplains
1 x Librarain
4 x Honour Guard
1 x Command Squad
10 Tactical Marines
5 Close Combat Scouts
4 Assault Marines - May be re-tasked depending on C:Blood Angels in April
5 x Heavy/special Weapons marines
10 Assault Terminators
10 Terminators
2 x Vindicators
Land Raider
Tech Marine - May get Retasked
2 x Masters of the Forge w/ Conversion Beamers
3 x Scout Bikes
1 x Land Speeder

BLOOD ANGELS
Chaplain Lemartes
10 x Death Company

Space Wolves
Logan Grimnar
Ragnar Black Mane
Rune Priest
11 x Wolf Gaurd Terminators
2 x Dreadnoughts
1 x Bike Wolf Guard
52 x Grey Hunters
7 Wolf Scouts
2 Drop Pods
6 Swift Claws
Predator
Land Raider Crusader
6 x Long Fangs

IMPERIAL GUARD
2 x Command Squad
5 x Infantry Squad
2 x Veteran Squads
3 x Heavy Weapons Squads
5 x Ratlings
1 x Chimera
1 x Leman Rus Battle Tank
1 x Leman Rus Demolisher
1 x Basilisk
1 x Valkyrie
10 x Storm Troopers

KHORNE CHAOS SPACE MARINES
Daemon Prince
Kharne the Betrayer
5 Retasked Terminators
24 Khorne Berzerkers
(will use Red Skull Vehicles with different pintle mounts)

APOCALYPSE
War Hound Scout Titan(scratch Built)

STILL WAITING USE
20 Terminators
20 Space Marine Scouts
50 Marines
6 Jump Packs

Maybe see what happens when Blood Angels and the rumoured Black Templar books come out.

What's Next
I going to keep doing what I'm doing. Posting, pics, lists and ramblings. Currently I'm working on the wolves. get 1500 points done. Then get my Red Skulls done while most likely adding what I need to make a competitive BA list depending on the codex. Maybe do some Khorne as a side project, and maybe an Infantry Heavy BT force as well. Guard are back burnered unit I can buy a crap ton of armour. I'm hoping to get 2 Valks, 2 Artillery Pieces and another couple of Chimeras before I really start into them again.

What you can do for me
Give me feedback. What do you like, What don't you. If you don't want to add a comment e-mail me. Let me know what you want to see. Pic's? How I did something? what my thinking behind something is? let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment