Monday, January 18, 2010

Gosford Shield Results AND Project Update

Saturday for me was one of those days. After arriving a little early at Gosford hobbies I found it wasn't yet open and I was the first to arrive. So I sat down to read the players pack. I then realised the tournament was at the Central Coast Corsairs in Tuggerah. So quick phone call and a $35 cab ride later I arrived at the correct venue with 10 minutes to spare before round 1.

I then set up my army ready to take some shots only to realize I hadn't charged my camera. No photos.

But on with the battles

Round 1 VS Eldar
Kill Points, Pitched Battle

Unfortunately I had the tools for the job and scored a clear victory

Round 2 VS Imperial Guard
2 objectives DOW

Once again I had the tools I needed. Dreadnoughts soaked up fire, Whirl Wind and Predator laid down fire, and then the marines could assault every thing.

Clear Victory

Round 3 VS Space Marines
5 Objectives, Pitched Battle

He had the tools. 21 Bikers, 2 Preds and a Whirl Wind. I deployed badly and it was all over. It wasn't till after the game I learnt that bikers can't move up levels.

Got Wiped out

Round 4 VS Chaos
4 Objectives, Spear Head.

If this game ended turn 5 it would have been a draw. However on turn 6 I maned to claim 2 addition objectives.

Clear Victory

RESULT
9th Place from 33
Battle - 44 out of possible 60.
Sports - 14 out of Possile 15.
Composition - 7 out of Possible 15
Paint - 7 out of possible 8

Overall quite happy

PROJECT UPDATE
It now looks like I'm taking Space Wolves for their first outing at the Central Coast Corsairs Cup (C4).

The army is assembled. But I'm not happy with 1 biker.

At present the list is

HQ
Wolf Guard Battle Leader - Bike, Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield

TROOPS
10 Grey Hunters - 2 x Melta Guns
Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 2 x Plasma Guns
Drop Pod

10 Grey Hunters - 2 x Melta Guns, Power Fist

ELITES
Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, CCW, Heavy Flamer

Dreadnought - Twin Linked Auto Cannon, CCW, Heavy Flamer

FAST ATTACK
5 Swift Claws - Power Fist, Flamer

HEAVY SUPPORT
Land Raider Crusader

Predator - Auto Cannon, Las Cannon Sponsons
_____
At present I have almost finished a dreadnought and the land raider.

Let me know what you think

3 comments:

  1. Good work on the tourney, any chance of more detailed battle reports? It's always nice to see what others are thinking as they play.

    The SW list is, to be perfectly honest, crap. It's got no real focus, Swiftclaws are trash (doubly so considering how awesome Thunderwolves are), Podding 20 GH with no combat weapons is suicide, the Dreads aren't optimal, and it just has a very "1 of everything, lot of nothing" feel to it.

    I'd highly recommend ditching the Pods for Rhinos, investing in WG to stick in your GH packs (9 GH, melta, power weapon, WG w/ combi-melta, PF), giving your Dreads both dual TLAC, swapping the Pred for 2 dakka variants, and nixing the Swiftclaws for MM/HF Speeders to help bust up armor.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback. The tourney was a little bit of a blur. I did intend to take notes and plenty of photos but it didn't happen. Next one. Promise.

    I also just realized this list is 15 points over limit. See todays entry for detail.

    ReplyDelete