Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Project Space Wolves - The Plan

Firstly I will try to get some more photos of the army. Just haven't got to it yet. Secondly I discovered the list I want to take is 15 points over limit. So here is my new take on it. I've also tried to give an insight into my thought process

HQ
Wolf Guard Battle Leader - Terminator Armour, Combi Plasma, Chain Fist, Saga of the Beast Slayer- 140 Points

I have never been a fan of expensive HQ's. I would rather skimp on the HQ and buy another unit. My tactics generally revolve around disrupting and then overwhelming an opponent rather than just charging my biggest guy against my opponents. Wolf guard battle leaders are a little squishy but are the best value for money

TROOPS
1st Grey Hunters - 10 Man - 2 x Melta Guns - 160 Points
Drop Pod - 35 Points

2nd Grey Hunters - 10 Man - 2 x Plasma Guns - 170 Points
Drop Pod - 35 Points

3rd Grey Hunters - 10 Man - 2 x Melta Guns, Power Fist - 185 Points

4th Grey Hunters - 10 Man - 2 x Plasma Guns - 170 Points

Grey hunters are really the only viable troops choice in the SW codex. Blood claws are to unreliable. By taking 40 grey hunters I should have the volume of fire I need. The drop pods are there for Fluff(Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company) and disruption. I do not expect the first unit I drop to live, that is why I now have 4. Their job is to drop down, kill something and then have the opponent shoot them so that the rest of the army can advance.

As for the lack of CCW's this stems from my experiences with Stern Guard. I have run a power fist in my DP Stern Guard for about 6 months and it has never done a thing. It just seems like a waste of points for a suicide unit. Also if my Grey hunters get charged they get 3 attacks each.
30 Attacks, 15 Hits, 7.5 Wounds, 2 Dead Marines. I also want to try out wolf standards but decided to leave that for the next list.

As for the specific Units
1st - Drop early, Pop a tank, Then die or charge something else
2nd - Drop late, take out a troops choice/Problem unit, capture objective.
3rd - Run in the land raider with the HQ, charge something
4th - Defense, support the armor, hold home objective

ELITES
Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, CCW, Heavy Flamer - 115 Points

Dreadnought - Assault Cannon, CCW, Heavy Flamer - 115 Points

I have said this plenty of times. I love dreadnought. I rarely play an army with out 2. in terms of load outs I find Twin linked Las/Missile to be my most common choice. I do also like a pair of twin linked auto cannons. Multi melta's are a little hit and miss, Plasma cannons are great but for some reason I hardly ever use them. My assault cannon dreads are there to be an infantry killer, the range is a little low and a plasma cannon would be better but I like the 4 shots.

The CCW and heavy flamer are there for fluff and some horde protection.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Predator - Auto Cannon, Las Cannon Sponsons - 120 Points

This is my main tank hunter. It should also work against MC's. It is also slightly fluffy since SW's were the first ones to put las Cannons on predators.

Land Raider Crusader - 250 Points

The optimal configuration would feature a storm bolter and multi melta. This is firstly a distraction. Land Raiders are notorious bullet magnets. The second use in troop killer. Drop the troops and go on a rampage of ramming and fire storms. once again slightly fluffy.

OTHER NOTES
I am generally not a huge fan of Wolf Guard. I do intend to use some, sometime, but at the moment I'm sticking with more familiar territories. Thunder Wolf Cav would be nice but I don't have time to model them. As for Rhino's I'm going off them in general. They're to fragile and slow.


1 comment:

  1. Don't sweat WG, if you're podding you really need them. Those extra PF attacks go a long way, especially when combined with MotW and/or a power weapon. To make up for the lost melta, give the WG a combi-melta. It only works once, but I find DP units really only get 1 shot before getting killed/charged. I'd also go 2 meltas since you're short on armor busting.

    I'd put that last unit of WG in a Razor since they'll be sitting back on objectives anyway.

    The WGBL's unit needs some oomph. A WGT w/ powerfist and as many bodies as possible. WGBL is ok, but a Lord with dual claws (I normally prefer WC/SS for protection, but the Belt is ok too) and saga of the warrior born is a blender.

    In this army, dual TLAC Dreads would be very useful. You don't have much to bust up armor and they kick out an impressive amount of firepower for very cheap.

    SW actually pioneered the Annihilator :P This one is eh. Too pricey, immobile, lascannons aren't too hot anyway. I'd drop it to beef your units up.

    If possible, a multi-melta and extra armor would be most useful on the LRC.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete