Tuesday, March 9, 2010

10 Minute Noob Guide to Space Wolves

here are my quick picks out the dex.

HQ
Wolf Guard Battle leaders - under priced by about 15 points. Easy to use, good all round choice, best of the bunch

Wolf Priest - I can see potential

Rune Priest - I haven't seen as many of these around as I'd expect. I haven't tried one yet because of the amount of people who think they are over powered.

Logan Grimnar - I like the idea of wolf wing in games of about 2000 points plus but I think they lack the bodies they need to survive the wound generator list being played in my local area.

Elites
Dreadnoughts - Still giving good support and anti tank. The ability to move and shoot puts this on a par with the Predator.

Wolf Guard - This is a min or max choice. Either a handful for controlling troops or as I am in the LOT list to get a Land Raider as a transport or go for a multiple of 5 for the assault cannons, heavy flamers and cyclone missile launchers.

Wolf Scouts - I love the idea, I just haven't found a way to squeeze them in yet.

TROOPS
Grey Hunters - Pure awesome. 2 Special weapons (1 free), Wolf standards are great, and you can attach wolf guard. I have 50 in the works, will probably end up with 60 before I call this army finished.

Blood Claws - Its not that they're bad, it just that grey hunters are better and cost the same points.

Rhino - You will need to be able to transport 10 men. razors are better for C:SM, rhinos for C:SW

Drop Pod - Get your men in the thick of it. You have counter attack and a wolf standard so getting assaulted is not always a bad thing.

FAST ATTACK
I am not a fan of fast attack for marines, I either do it big (C:BA) or not at all.
Swift claws and Sky claws are ok, but I'm saving mine till I see the BA Dex.
I'm still not a fan of land speeders either.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Long Fangs - Love the shooting at 2 targets, the only draw back is the lack of bullet catchers.

Predator - Love them
Vindicator - Still under priced by about 40 points
Land raiders - Bullet Magnets. make a great distraction.

IF I WAS STARTING AGAIN FROM SCRATCH
this would be my shopping list
5 SW Terminators
5 x SW Boxes.
3 x Rhinos
1 x Land Raider
2 x Vindicators
2 x Dreadnoughts

This would give you 2000 points. and a good mix of anti Horde, Anti MC/Heavy Infantry and anti tank.


3 comments:

  1. No Thunderwolves make baby Jesus cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only they had models. I'm trying to write this for entry level players. I love the idea of them, want to use them, don't want to convert them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this cheap alternative for TWolves

    http://www.threeplussave.com/2009/11/budget-army-1.html

    Very easy to do, very cheap, gotta love Thunderhorsies.

    ReplyDelete