Friday, March 12, 2010

Space Wolf Codex VS Marine Codex

Last night I was asked an interesting question. "You already have a marine army, so why make a separate Space Wolf Army?"

Lets look at the basic building blocks I use for a marine list and compare those to the SW one

HQ's

Captain Vs Wolf Lord - Comparable. Very similar
Captain Vs Wolf Guard Battle Leader - 40 Points cheaper. But no invul. But I can give him a storm shield. 1 point to space wolves

Librarian Vs Rune Priest - I may cop flack for this but I like the librarian alot more

ELITES
Wolf Guard VS Terminators - Wolf guard are more flexible, cheaper and all round better
Wolf Guard VS Stern Guard - Stern guard by a mile. Their special issue ammo gives them an edge

TROOPS
Tactical Squad Vs Grey Hunters - GH are cheaper, have more attacks, can take wolf standards and have a second, free, special weapon. Tactical Squads have higher leadership, get a heavy weapon and can combat squad. For my style of play the combat squadding and heavy weapon don't add much. I rarely use either, Grey Hunters all over

The rest of the dex is either very similar or add ons that will only work if you have these basic building blocks in place.

So why take the Space Marine Codex?

1. Stern Guard - Flexible, reliable and deadly
2. Thunder Fire Cannon - I love this unit. Again flexible and deadly

And now I start to struggle. I'm really starting to think my days of using the marine dex are at an end. Let me know your thoughts.


2 comments:

  1. Well, vanilla marines are shootier, SW are assault-ier (and 100% fluffier!). Of course, with the rumors of the BA codex like they are, I can't really see anyone sticking with codex marines... get everything in the old dex except slightly more expensive and faster? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not Really. I think Space wolves are just as shooty. As far as cheap shot generator units go Grey hunters are cheaper, Razor Backs and predators are the same.

    Stern Guard are to expensive to add. Thunder fires are nice but are fragile and have problems in Dawn of war deployment.

    ReplyDelete