Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Noob Mistakes - Learn From my Fail

I have decided to take 2010 as a year of reflection to work out where I am in my hobby and in life in general. When preping for an appoc game it dawned on me that I had 12,000 points of marines. It dawned on me I could make at least 5 decent armies out of that

My current army who I have been using for the last 18 months is about the following
- Wins 6 or 7 out of every 10 games
- Gets 5 out of 10 for Presentation
- Gets 5 out of 10 for composition

Not a bad army just consistently average. Here are some basic mistakes I made when I started

1. Get the Guy at the shop to help you paint your first mini

This will save endless wasted time and paint. I liked the idea of Red Marines. Mechrite Red foundation makes this so much easier. Simple tips will drastic improvements to the speed and quality of your painting

2. Don't be afraid to proxy

I built a BA army and found I liked shooty armies. Borrow models, Proxy, avoid puting guns/upgrades on till your sure you like them. Proxy a small army play with the composition till YOU are comfortable.

3. Start Small

Something I am guilty of, something I want to break away from. Play at least a few games with what you have, work out what you are lacking, then buy. I have impulse bought alot of minis and even 2 complete armies. I ended up with 2 tables of models, none of which were complete.

4. Pick a Goal

Pick a tournament, league game, event, arbitrary figure, say 1750 Points of Space wolves for Lords of Terra. Plan it, Build it, paint it. Then decide on your next project. I usually have side projects for when I hit a wall, usually something different or creative like my Chaos army.

5. DO ONE THING AND DO IT WELL!!!!

This is the best advice I have ever received. Focus, focus, focus. 1 Plasma gun will not do you any good. 8 Plasma guns is very effective. 1 Thunder Fire in a mech force is a target, 1 Thunder Fire backed up by devastators, Tac Marines, long range Dreads or a whirl wind is a major head ache for your opponent.

Pick a focus
- Everything outflanks, infitrates or deepstrikes
- Cause as many wounds as possible
- As Many infantry as possible
- Leaf blower is a great example of this

WHERE AM I GOING
PROJECT 1 - SPACE WOLVES
Getting 1750 Ready for LoT - Will be my go to army for the forseable
Army list (Total Army)
- Wolf Guard Battle Leader
- Rune Priest
- 38 Grey Hunters
- 2 Dreadnoughts
- 10 Wolf Guard Terminators
- 7 Wolf Scouts
- 2 Vindicators
- 6 Long Fangs
- Land Raider Crusader
GOAL - COMPLETE ALL BY JULY 1

PROJECT 2 - BLOOD ANGELS
Something A little Different for me.
ARMY LIST
- Chaplain
- Lemartes
- 30 Assault Marines
- 10 Death Company
- 7 Bikers (need more)
- 2 Dreadnoughts
- More units to be added after the codex is out.

GOAL - COMPLETE ALL BY OCTOBER 1

PROJECT 3 - RAPTORS, C:SM
Raptors will replace my red skulls as my dedicated shooty army. Somewhat inspired by "Generation Kill"
ARMY LIST
- Captain
- 40 Tactical Marines
- 4 Razor Backs
- 3 Dreadnoughts
- 3 Predators
GOAL - Complete ALL by January 1, 2011

PROJECT 4 - CHAOS
This is more as a nice to paint army than competitive. No subtlety, trying for big and scary.
ARMY LIST
- Daemon Prince
- Kharne The Betrayer
- Khorne Berzerkers
- Rhinos
- Chaos Space Marines
- Defilers
- Greater Daemon


PROJECT 5 - BLACK TEMPLARS
I have some minis, I am hearing rumbling of a codex. This is probably going to be a horde army. If possible 6 x 20 man squads backed up by terminators, dreadnoughts and maybe devastators

PROJECT 6 - MENTOR LEGION - DARK ANGELS CODEX
If it ever gets re-released this will be my DA army. I have 2 Land Raiders and 30 Terminators set aside. I may also throw in Tactical Squads, Dreadnoughts and Devastators at the time.

1 comment:

  1. All very good advice for beginniners. Some other things I might add:

    -Know what your objectives are, and work towards fulfilling them, not killing models. If you have to, make yourself a "checklist card" to read at the beginning of every turn so you know what you need to do ("Turn 4: Am I on any objectives? If not, move towards them.") Getting stuck on the thought of killing rather than winning is very easy to do.

    -Know your own army. I would strongly suggest having a copy of the rulebook (the Black Reach mini-rulebook is very helpful here, since it's less than 1/3 the price of the regular one and easier to carry). Make sure you've read the relevant sections to your army list- if you like to assault, read the Assaults chapter several times over to make sure you know how everything works.

    -Know your enemies. If at all possible, borrow friends' codices so you are aware of what they can do. Don't be afraid to ask to look at a unit's special rules during a game so your opponent doesn't spring any surprises on you, and always ask to see a copy of their army list at the beginning of a game.

    -Fit your army to your playstyle. Even the best unit in the game won't help if you consistently use it the wrong way, so take units that back the way you run things. AT the same time, don't get stuck in a rut with your army. Try new things out occasionally.

    ReplyDelete