Wednesday, October 14, 2009

League and Coastal Assault List in Detail

Today is just a run down of the list I'm trying out this week ready for the Coastal Assault tournament at my local store in December. This combines elements from MOAB, LoT and my league games.

HQ
Captain - Relic Blade, Storm Shield, Bike - This is a nice tough CC HQ. I have been running a captain with relic blade and storm shield in the local league but sometimes had trouble getting him into combat. Hopefully the bike solves this issue.

Librarian - Force Weapon, Bolt Pistol, Avenger, Gate of Infinity - the king of drop podding HQ's. An AP 3 STR 5 flamer in my oponents back line have won me more games and caused more havoc than I can mention. Gate is handy but rarely used.

TROOPS
Tactical Squad - Plasma Gun, Las Cannon - Lately I have been minimizing costs of units to allow for fewer more powerful choices, however I find that has been leading to dead weight units, Ones that need to be carried through the game and play no big part in the overall battle. Las Plas is rarely wasted.

Tactical Squad - Power Fist, Melta Gun, Multi Melta, Rhino - Mobile tank hunting assaulty squad. Mobile close range fire power.

Bike Squad - 5 Bikes - Sgt w/ Power Fist, Melta gun, Plasma Gun - This unit acts as a flanking unit, Interceptor and personal guard for my captain. First time I've tried bike so should be fun.

Scouts - Sgt w/ Sniper Rifle, 3 x Snipers, 1 x Heavy Bolter - I've always like sniper scouts. I'm hoping the heavy bolter will add some fire power along with the Hell fire shell which I'm keen to try out

ELITES
Stern Guard - 10 men - sgt w/ Power fist and bolt gun, 2 x combi Melta, Melta gun, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod - This is my distraction unit. If you drop a unit that kills a tank and an infantry squad in 1 turn your opponents army will implode to try and kill the unit. Which gives the rest of your army time to move into position. Plus they're already painted.

Heavy Support
Thunder Fire Cannon - At MOAB this unit evaporated entire units of gaunts, Landed 15+ wounds on marine, fire warrior and legion of the damned squad in a single turn.

Whirl Wind -Hoping to boost the effectiveness of my thunder fire and stern guard with some nice artillery fire. I used one to great effect at this years Battle in the Vines.

Pros
- Plenty of Ignores cover shots
- Fast flexible troops
- Great horde control
- Decent close combat and ranged ability
- decent number of STR 6 and wounds on 2+ weapons

Cons
- Lacking in long range anti tank
- Lacking low AP templates, Terminator Control

No comments:

Post a Comment