Monday, July 27, 2009

Lords of Terra - The Result

Lords is finished. Let the preperation for MOAB begin.

This was great weekend. Final write ups are still a few hours off so stay tuned for those. My list can be found in previous posts

here's the rundown


DAY 1

Game 1 Vs Swarm Nids - Killpoints, Pitched Battle.

His List - 2 Hive tyrants w/guards, 2 shooty Carnifexes, 3 Zornathropes, Shooty warriors, Winged Warriors, 40 gaunts, 8 gargoyles

2 things decided this game. Deployment and dice.
My oponent deployed his fast moving close combat troops on one side of the board with his shooting troops in the middle. I deployed my entire army (except the drop pod) in the corner oposite his close combat troops. There were two large buildings forming a funnel directly to my guns.

He of course swarmed the funnel turn 1. My first bit of luck happened when 4 out of 8 gargoyles failed dangerous terain checks. I set my drop pod with the sternguard and librarian to come down behind a swarm of Guants for an easy kill. It scattered 12" in to the funnel landing directly in front fo the gaunts, a 2 carnifexts, a Hive tyrant with guards and a Zornathrope.

The stern guard took out a Fex, a Zornathrope and manged to flame through the thrope into the Gaunts. in turn 2 the Sterguard died the librarian lived. My turn 2 the Librarian gated out of combat and my army opened up on the remnants. Turn 3 he wrecked my drop pod and his gaunts shot down my librarian, while his fast movers ran down the center and around a building at me.

Although my Sternguard and librarian died quickly they caused significant damage and inconvinience that prevented my fire base being swarmed. The amount of guns shooting out where able to stop him getting any more kill points.

Result - Clear Victory. 14-6
________________________________________
Game 2 - Vs Mech Eldar- capture and control, Spear head.

2 fire prisms, 2 Autarcs, 2 jet bike squads, 4 dire avenger squads in wave serpents

I spread my self to thin on this one. Eldar are fast and nasty the only way to beat them with marines is to create a strong point and hold. If you split you army they are fast enough to bring thier full fire power on to a different piece each time and kill it. After deploying badly it was impossible to recover.

Massive loss - 0-14

__________________________________________
Game 3 - Vs Salamanders, 4 objectives, Dawn of war

My oponent was running a similar list to mine. Vulkan, 20 marines in rhinos, 5 sternguard in a razor back, 2 vindicators, 2 land speeders and a bike squad.

My drop pod took out a vindicator, stunned a scond and the stormbolter stunned a land speeder. Once again my oponent spent 3 turns taking out my sternguard. My dreds managed to keep his second vindicator from firing while my vindicators managed to take out pockets of infanty and his bike squad.

Due to his flamers, meltas and multimeltas I held back and played defensively tehn rushed the objectives turn 5. At this point I was winning 4-0. The game went 2 more turns in which time he pushed forward to wipe me off one objective and contest 2 others.

Result - Draw.
____________________________________________
DAY 2

Game 4 Vs Chaos Marines - Bean Counters. Pitched battle. 1 point for each objective held at the end of each player turn.

Deamon prince, 30 marines in Rhinos, drednought, raptor squad, 2 Havok squads.

My scouts came into thier own here. My oponent bunched up in the middle of the board. My scouts manged to infintrate onto a objective in his deployment zone. he managed to move on to the center objective and the other on his side.

My drop pod came down and caused carnage again killing a havok squad and failing to melt a rhino. the deamon prince and raptors took till turn 3 to finish them off. mean while I took the two objectives on my side and managed to contest the center while giving my vindicators
clear shots at the two rhinos holding objectives

My scouts unusually good shooting, plus a bad dangerous terain check meant the oposing raptors were down to one man by the time they reached the scouts, The center objective was the focus of a melee lasting most of the game.

Result - Close Win - 23-16

_____________________________________
Game 5- Vs Sneaky Eldar - Victory points.
the point cost of what you kill (half kill is half points) + whatever you have with in 12" of the centre

2 x Pathfinders, 4 x Rangers, 2 x Striking scorpions, 2 x warp siders, dark reapers

This was against my friend Spakka. Both of us coming down in the same car for the event laughed about how badly mismatched our armies were.

My drop pod of doom took and his scorpions took each other out nicely, 1 squad of spiders scattered off the board when deep striking his other spider squad did some damage then got obliterated by my guns. His snipers got some luck rends and killed a rhino and half a squad. His reapers took out a scout squad.

in the end I had 1050 of my 1750 on the objective to his 0 and managed to kill half his army.

Result - Clear Victory
_____________________________________

Final results. 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss.
Approx place (awaiting confirmation and details) 16 out of 35.


What I noticed.
- Tau and Necrons were hard pressed to win a game.
- Valkaries are surprisingly under powered.
- Eldar are hard for marines to deal with
- Sisters of battle are surprisingly good



Whats next
- Full results later today
- Photos as they come in
- List analysis this tommorrow
- League list Wednessday
- MOAB thoughts and a possible new project in the next 2 weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment