Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Planetstrike - Testing and list ideas

On Sunday when I was dropping my army off ready for Thursday night league I was lucky enough to fall into a quick game of planet strike against a friends nids. I won the roll and choose to attack.

I didn't have much time so I rushed him with everything I had and after a bloody confrontation he came away with a win. I do like the system and have been itching to try something similar with Appoc for a while.

In my local league week 8 should be planet strike. somewhere between 1200 and 2000 points.
My initial thoughts for marines

General
- Infantry seems like a good option for marines. Plenty of attacks, survivable, varietly of weapons.
- should go without saying but prep for close combat.

Attacking
- You need something that can kill and enemy unit fast and then move onto another. Taking out entire units is you aim.
- You need to go for the wipe out.
- the best tactic to use is the Strong Side. Focus the majority of you forces down one side. Claim part of the opponent terittory and then push forward. Max attacks on mininum number targets. Shoot/attack one unit till it is dead and then move on.

Top Units
- Tactical Marines - Shots, cheap special weapons. Use close combat builds.
- Assault Marines - As much as I hate them they do have a place here as a fast CC unit.
- Van Guard - Another unit I thought I'd never use. Due to the planet strike reserve roles this is now very viable.
- Scouts - Getting a homer on the board before turn 1 is vital for the deep strikes
- Scout Bikes - a beacon is even better. ensure heroic intervention
- Drop Pods - Great choice. expecialy with homers. Pack with marines, stern guard or dreds
- Terminators - Deep strike, shoot. Then move, shoot, assault, repeat. In close quarters this can get nasty really fast.

Defending
- The objective should be keep units alive. Land raiders, rhinos, razor backs. Make it so the enemy is going to come at you with templates. He is trying to wipe you out. All you need to do is survive and you win.

Units
- Tech marine with servitors (130 points for a tech marine, bolter defences and 2 plasma cannons/multi melta's)
- Tactical Marines, Devestators and Sternguard in rhinos, cover or buildings.
- terminators - These are your wall. use them to bog the enemy down.
- Land Raider - A mobile bunker. Redeamer would be great for this keep opposing infantry away while protecting your own.


Lists as soon as I can flesh out some ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment